Analyzing the Authentic 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle Card
Because the 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle was double printed, there actually exists two different variations of the card, Type I and Type II. Each type has a few unique identifiers which will be discussed.
Type I Front
Type I Back
- The lower left corner is a missing a pixel, thus not forming a completing square corner
- The team logo has a solid black border around it entirely
- The stitches on the baseball are facing to the left
- The “h” in Right and “s” in DiMaggio’s are nearly perfectly aligned.
Type II Front
Type II Back
- There is a missing blue pixel
- There is only a partial black border around the Yankee logo
- The top border overlaps the two side borders
- The border around Mantle’s name is not as smooth an even as the Type I card
- The stitches on the baseball are pointed to the right
- The “t” in Right and the “s” in DiMaggio’s are nearly perfectly aligned.
One thing is for sure, there is not a shortage of 1952 Topps Mantle counterfeits available. If you ever decide to buy this iconic card, make sure the card has been graded by a reputable grading company and the card is being sold by a reputable dealer.
Return to Guide to Counterfeit Baseball Cards main page